2009 Annual Survey of American Jewish Opinion
The data reported here are from the 2009 Annual Survey of American Jewish Opinion, sponsored by the American Jewish Committee. Among the topics covered in the present survey are U.S.-Israel relations, the Arab-Israel conflict, and the Iran nuclear threat. Many of the questions appearing in the survey are new; others are drawn from previous American Jewish Committee surveys, including various Annual Surveys of American Jewish Opinion carried out between 1979 and 2008.
How does one reconcile these two responses.
Do you approve or disapprove of the Obama Administration’s handling of US-Israel relations?,
Do you agree or disagree with the Obama Administration’s call for a stop to all new Israeli settlement construction?
51% disapprove to
In fact there are many responses which make you wonder how Obama can still have a 54% approval rating. Mind you, 78% voted for him.
6. In the current situation, do you favor or oppose the establishment of a Palestinian state?
7. In the framework of a permanent peace with the Palestinians, should Israel be willing to compromise on the status of Jerusalem as a united city under Israeli jurisdiction?
8. As part of a permanent settlement with the Palestinians, should Israel be willing to dismantle all, some, or none of the Jewish settlements in the West Bank?
9. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? “The goal of the Arabs is not the return of occupied territories but rather the destruction of Israel.”
10. Do you think there will or will not come a time when Israel and its Arab neighbors will be able to settle their differences and live in peace?
Will not 51
11. Do you think that Israel can or cannot achieve peace with a Hamas-led Palestinian government?
12. Should the Palestinians be required or not be required to recognize Israel as a Jewish state in a final peace agreement?
Not required 5