Florida Legislature Unanimously Passes “Stand with Israel” Resolution
A unanimous vote by the Florida House on the Stand with Israel Resolution February 29 capped a similar vote cast by the State Senate on February 1
Senate Resolution 1396, passed on February 1, 2012, was sponsored by Senator Alan Hays and co-sponsored by all 39 other members of the Florida Senate, the highest possible expression of support the Resolution could receive.House Resolution 1447, passed on February 29, 2012, was sponsored by Representative Scott Plakon, and co-sponsored by a group of 29 other representatives, including 20 Republicans and 9 Democrats. The resolution passed 108-0.
§ “…the 650,000 Jews presently residing in the areas of Judea, Samaria and eastern Jerusalem reside there legitimately.”§ “… haters of Israel also hate, and seek to destroy, the United States of America.”§ “…the members of [Florida’s Legislature] support Israel in its legal, historical, moral and G-d given right of self-governance and self-defense upon the entirety of its own lands, recognizing that Israel is neither an attacking force nor an occupier of the lands of others, and that peace can be afforded the region only through a whole and united Israel governed under one law for all people.”
A concerted campaign is being waged against the Jewish state to deny its legitimacy in virtually every aspect of its historical, legal, political, and cultural life. This effort is aimed at undermining the very foundations of Israel’s existence. We strongly praise Senator Alan Hays and Representative Scott Plakon, and the entire Florida Legislature, for their unanimous and forceful assertion of the basic truth that Israel is America’s most reliable and essential ally, and for their important support of Israeli sovereignty and self-defense. The passage of this resolution is both revolutionary and historic in its importance.It is imperative to note the particularly important role played by Israel’s Christian friends who joined with the Jewish community to urge the passage of this resolution…We hope that all other states in our country will follow Florida in recognizing the responsibility of an ally is to be there when needed and not only when it is convenient.
The Florida Stands with Israel Resolution, developed under the auspices of the ZoA, is a hybrid. .. with attention to the legal rights of the State of Israel under international law.The Florida Stands with Israel resolution (HR 1447/SR 1396) has the following objectives:
- To encourage peace by promoting the rule of law within Israel and the international community;
- To recognize the legal and historic facts that support Israel’s right to self-determination and self-defense on the entirety of its lands; and,
- To recognize that Israel and America share the same values and enemies, and remain the greatest of allies.
- The unanimous support of 52 members of the League of Nations on July 24, 1922;
- Concurrent resolutions of both Houses of the US Congress endorsing Israel’s rights passed on June 30, 1922 and signed by President Harding on September 21, 1922; and,
- Article 80 of the UN Charter that implicitly recognizes by reference the Mandate for Palestine of the predecessor League of Nations.